Chemicals play an important role at home and at work. They include corrosives, solvents, flammables, combustible materials and other chemical substances.
They all can be potentially dangerous, but they needn’t be harmful when they are handled, stored and disposed of safely.
You can protect yourself against chemical hazards.
Possible solutions include:
- Read container labels, material safety data sheets (MSDSs) and safe work instructions before handling the chemical. They will list safe handling procedures.
- Never mix two chemicals together.
- Use appropriate personal protection equipment (PPE) when working with chemicals.
- Make sure the PPE fits properly and that you know how to use it. Inspect all PPE prior to use.
- When using respirators, make sure you use the correct canister for the particular chemical and replace it when necessary.
- Know the location of and how to use the eyewash station, safety showers and spill control stations/ materials.
- Never put your bare hands into any chemical; use the proper glove.
- Always wash your hands after handling any chemical and before eating.
- REMEMBER: Always make sure chemicals are properly labeled and stored!
Latest posts by Varsity Facility Services (see all)
- World FM Day 2016 – Empowering People for a Productive World - July 3, 2016
- How to Leverage Standard Work and 5S in Service to Gain Market Share. - September 22, 2014
- Create A Vacuum Day – Feb. 4 - February 4, 2014