Make Others Feel Important
When you help others feel important, you increase their confidence and reinforce the natural need we all have to feel worthwhile.
Two great ways to make others feel important are by showing sincere interest and demonstrating your appreciation.
You can show sincere interest by:
- Asking others how their day was and listening attentively to their response.
- Asking what others do for hobbies and interests.
- Asking follow-up questions that display sincere interest.
You can show sincere apprecation by:
- Giving a simple, specific compliment recognizing good behaviors.
- Writing a note expressing your sincere appreciation.
- Going out of your way to do something nice and thoughtful.
A simple “hello” or asking a person’s opinion can make others feel important.
Remember a person’s name and use it frequently. People like to hear their own name and they often feel important when it is used.
Humans all have one thing in common–we all appreciate it when others give us honest and sincere appreciation.